This exciting new role comes to market from one of the UK’s leading technology centres. Partnering with multi-national companies through to SME’s across the manufacturing industries they aim to increase the competitiveness of the manufacturing sector in the UK.
Providing a vital link between academia and industry they help to take innovative new ideas and research and mature them so their ready for use in industry. Whether it’s leading the development of cutting-edge new technology, revolutionising our production systems or guiding capital investments they are involved, working alongside their industry partners to improve performance.
Joining them as the technical specialist for robotics and automation you will be the technical lead across a portfolio of projects delivering innovative technical solutions and taking promising research ideas through to impactful solutions that enhance manufacturing capability.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Developing value propositions and raising awareness of your project portfolio and its impact opportunity.
- Keeping a eye on future technologies and raising awareness of potential opportunities for the business
- Identify collaborative research and development funding opportunities and lead proposals to find the development of your own key value propositions
- Mentor and guide your colleagues within the department, sharing your technical expertise to support their development and providing technical governance throughout the project delivery process.
- Working closely with the departments management team, providing specialist input into business development, product management and technology management in line with your technical expertise.
- Where appropriate you will pro-actively report and present your work in the public domain
To carry out this key role they are seeking a degree educated engineer with strong technical expertise in robotics and automation to work across varied project requirements. Further skills required include:
- Degree educated in robotics, automation, or similar engineering discipline
- Proven experience in Industry in the research, design, development and delivery of robotics and automation solutions
- Full lifecycle design experience from concept through to onsite commissioning and FAT/SAT
- An appreciation of commercially available and developing technologies related to safety systems, robot programming, kinematics, dynamics, motion / pathway planning, closed-loop control systems and computer vision
- Experience developing embedded software for robotics/automation using ROS, C++, Python or similar
- Knowledge of PLC’s controls and their programming
- An understanding of electrical standards e.g., IEC 60204-1, PUWER, CSME, SIL or the machinery directive
- An interest in exploring new capabilities and technologies such as additive manufacturing to solve challenges for automation/mechatronic solutions
- Ideally interested in or already working towards/qualified as a chartered engineer.
In return they can offer an excellent career opportunity and a positive work environment. Company benefits include a 4-day working week, flexible working hours, work from home opportunities, onsite subsidised canteen, strong employee benefits and opportunities for your further education and professional development.